Valley First Credit Union
1005 West Orangeburg
Modesto, CA 95350
The Director of Operational Risk is responsible for managing business units within the Credit Union's Risk Management department to implement enterprise-level standards, policies and governance. This role reports to the VP of Risk Management and broader senior team to design, enhance, and execute policies, procedures, testing, and controls to ensure compliance with federal and state laws and regulations, and address all areas of risk. Serving as a trusted compliance advisor/partner to both internal and external stakeholders.
• Participate on special projects (new products/services, new/changed systems, etc.) providing consultation specific to the project relating to risks, processes, and controls.
• Develop a comprehensive and tailored risk monitoring and control platform.
• Analyzes new and pending laws and regulations, which directly affect the credit union; develops or revises appropriate policies, procedures, contracts and agreements to ensure compliance.
• Provide proactive insights into trends, issues, threats and opportunities in the financial services industry to the senior team.
• Investigates and resolves compliance problems, questions, or complaints received from other units of the credit union, members and government regulatory agencies. May develop and implement programs and training designed to increase employee awareness and knowledge of compliance policies.
• Review the security and business continuity controls of the credit union’s vendor management program for compliance with internal policy and procedures on an ongoing basis.
• Acts as the lending compliance subject matter expert for the Bank and oversees lending compliance reporting functions such as Home Mortgage Disclosure Act reporting.
• Responsible for overseeing credit union’s BSA Program, including the MRB portfolio, and understanding risk exposure from the credit union’s products and services, ensuring the BSA/AML and economic sanctions controls and implementing procedures are adequate to manage risks, and providing guidance to enhance or implement new controls as needed.
• Remains current with BSA regulatory compliance and establishes controls to mitigate risks emerging from new regulation, legislation and issues identified in the industry.
• Develops and maintains enterprise risk assessments and policies for new and enhanced product and service development, assessing inherent risk and exposure, as well as applicable control environment.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
• At least five years' experience supporting operations, risk, and/or compliance related activities in financial industry
• Analytical, organizational, communication, and decision-making skills
• Proven track record of effectively designing and strengthening operational controls