Blackhawk Community Credit Union
2640 W Court St
Janesville, WI 53563
Job Classification: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Finance & Accounting
Reports To: EVP/Chief Financial Officer
The Controller is responsible for preparing the financial statements according to GAAP. The Controller will manage the accounting department and maintain the process for creating accurate financial statements and the set of regular financial management reports that are necessary for observing the changing financial status of the Credit Union.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities and Key Accountabilities
• Create, refine, and maintain the Credit Union’s accounting structure and architecture, including associated workflows and rules. Use this system to create the Credit Union’s regular financial statements.
• Apply knowledge and experience in the creation of important estimates such as the Allowance for Loan and Lease Losses.
• Manage routine accounting processes including the primary balancing functions for the Credit Union. The Controller will investigate and resolve discrepancies. Examples of functions that must be managed include, but are not limited to, bank reconciliations; investment accounting; general ledger balancing; subsidiary report balancing; fixed asset accounting and reconciliation; budget accruals and prepaid expense accounting and reconciliation.
• Research, develop and implement accounting software for efficiencies and upgrades to systems as needed. Make recommendations as appropriate to keep software relevant and up to date.
• Manage production and accuracy of data provided for ALM (asset liability management) analysis. Work with the EVP/CFO to understand output analysis and recommendations based on delivery of ALM simulations and what-ifs.
• Responsible for ongoing tasks associated with the ProfitStars cost accounting system. This includes monthly upload process of data; insuring output is accurate; and attending to all software related changes that become necessary and producing the management reports necessary to make informed decisions.
• Supervise Accounting Staff. Ensure training, establish goals and objectives, monitor and evaluate performance, and provide guidance as needed to achieve objectives. Communicate new information and or policy changes to staff person. Regularly coach employees for superior performance or for performance improvement.
• Manage accounts payable function for accuracy and timeliness of payments. Ensures proper collection of data for reporting of annual 1099-misc and communications to IRS. Ensure accuracy and timeliness of members’ state and federal taxes to include annual IRS 945 reporting. Work with IRS to resolve issues when discrepancies occur. Prepare the IRS form 990.
• Review general ledger for accuracy before closing the financial statements. Make determination that books are ready to be closed. Work with EVP/CFO on variances.
• Manage bank accounts and cash availability for daily clearings, advancing funds as needed to ensure uninterrupted service. Maintain line of credit contracts; keep them up to date for liquidity purposes.
• Work with outside audit firms for the financial statement audit and other process audits, the FHLBC; the Federal Reserve; and the State DFI OCU and the NCUA.
The above responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, or working conditions.
QUALIFICATIONS and COMPETENCIES:
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Certified Public Accountant designation required.
• 10 years of experience in a credit union or community bank
• Strong interpersonal skills, maturity and good judgment.
• Must possess well-developed skills in verbal and written communication.
• Role model of positive personal projection as demonstrated by professional appearance and attitude.
• Ability to analyze and resolve situations independently.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities, effectively delegate and set deadlines.
• Ability to move new business practices from concept to reality.
OTHER (PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND VISUAL SKILLS):
• Frequent periods are spent standing or sitting in the same location with some opportunity to move about; occasionally there may be a need to stoop or lift light objects (typically less than 8 pounds).
• Ability to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time. Intermittent physical activity including bending, reaching and prolonged periods of sitting.
• Ability to move about and communicate with a diverse membership and employee group.
• Ability to accomplish the described responsibilities through the use of computers and technology.
• Ability to work in a changing, challenging and fast paced environment with varying stress levels.
• Must be able to lift 20lbs. occasionally.
• Occasional travel required.