Set your board up for success by quickly and concisely gathering honest feedback from all board members on key areas of governance, including:
- Mission, Vision and Purpose
- Board Structure and Composition
- Fiduciary Oversight
- Governance and Leadership Culture
- The Supervisory Committee
Results from this anonymous, online assessment tool will help you and your board build an agenda of strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats for it to prioritize and address.
How it Works
Each board member will receive an email including instructions and a link to our credit union-specific, confidential questionnaire, developed by governance experts to encourage candid feedback.
Then, the board can choose to access and explore its results in one of four ways:
After your board completes the online assessment, you receive the results for analysis.
Assessment and Summary Report
After your board completes the online assessment, CUES’ strategic partner, Quantum Governance, L3C, will review the results and provide you with an executive summary report.
Assessment, Summary and Workshop
After your board completes the online assessment, Quantum Governance, L3C will develop an executive summary report and conduct interviews with your CEO and board chair. Then, a senior consultant will facilitate a one-day workshop with the board and senior leadership to review the findings, discuss best practices, and identify next steps. Contact CUES to purchase at 800.252.2664, ext. 332, or email@example.com. Travel expenses apply for this option and range from $8,000 - $13,000 based on location. Contact CUES to learn more.
Full Governance Assessment
The most in-depth option, this assessment employs a minimum of three methodologies, including the online assessment, a document review, and interviews with key leaders. Focus groups, board meeting observation, and constituent surveys are often used as well. Deliverables for this option include a comprehensive report; a facilitated, on-site retreat; best practice training; and the development of a governance action plan tailored to your CU. Contact CUES for a quote at 800.252.2664, ext. 332, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Board Governance Assessment Add-Ons
Supplemental Benchmarking Report
Would you like to see how your credit union compares to those in your peer group? Add an additional benchmarking report to your purchase.
For an additional fee of $1,500, Quantum Governance will benchmark your results in the core survey question sets against your peer credit unions, based on asset size. Additionally, Quantum Governance will provide you with a summary chart of benchmarked data from our main survey sections.
Have you complete CUES’ Board Governance Assessment before? Add an additional comparative analysis to your purchase.
For an additional fee of $500 per year, Quantum Governance will provide a comparative analysis of your current assessment to any, or all, of your past assessments.
What Assessment is Right for Your Credit Union?
Based on Quantum Governance’s research, credit unions participating in a survey-only assessment tend to have more positive scores in many of the areas assessed, when compared to those utilizing a full governance assessment. While the exact reason for this more positive viewpoint is unknown, it is a finding of genuine concern; an overly positive viewpoint could mask problem areas.
Quantum Governance recommends the following guidelines in determining which assessment level may be best for your credit union:
- Assets of $500 million and less: The assessment only may suffice, but if your CU has undergone a period of rapid growth or change, especially in staff or board leadership, or if you are interested in taking your governance program to the next level, a full governance assessment is best.
- Assets of $500 million to $750 million: At a minimum the assessment, summary report and workshop option is recommended. Given the greater complexity of your CU, the ability to further understand the issues you’re facing will be important in order to place your results into greater context.
- Assets of $750 million and up: A full governance assessment is recommended. Given your CU’s immense size and complexity, a full assessment is imperative for Quantum Governance’s team to understand the complete picture of your credit union—its history, challenges, and where your strategic plan is leading the organization.
How Often Should We Assess Our Credit Union?
For CUs conducting full governance assessments, Quantum Governance recommends a re-assessment within approximately one year to test for progress, and then at two-year increments thereafter. The progress reviews may involve the assessment only or a combination of assessments and interviews, depending on priorities. Watch the webinar When and How to Assess Your Credit Union's Board of Directors to learn more.
Help your credit union board thrive, purchase now. Questions? Contact CUES at 800.252.2664 or 608.271.2664, ext. 340, or email email@example.com.